Centre Church was organized in 1765 and held meetings at Osborne’s Meeting House. This new congregation’s mission was centrally located between five other missions: Sugar Creek, Hopewell, Fourth Creek (1st, Statesville), Popler Tent and Thyatira. Therefore, the congregation became known as Centre.The church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Those who once worshiped here were people of devout faith and trust in God. They still are today! The “mother of church”, Centre has helped start the mission of Prospect, Bethel, Davidson College Church, Shearer and Mooresville 1st. With such a rich historical foundation and with such an explosion of growth in its area of mission, Centre is posed for a bright future in bringing the good news of God’s love revealed in Jesus Christ.
Centre had no ordained pastor prior to 1777. It was served at irregular intervals by missionaries, including John Thompson, Hugh McAdden, and Revs. McMordie, Donaldson, Wilson, Kennon, Craighead, Hunt, Millar, Craig and Debow.
Rev. Thomas H. McCaule 1777—1785
Rev. Dr. James McRee 1798—1828
Rev. Dr. R.H. Chapman 1828—1830
Rev. Thomas Espy 1830—1831
Revs. Walter Pharr and John Ervin 1833—1839
Rev. John L. Davies 1839—1848
Rev. Stephen Frontis 1849—1856
Rev. William W. Pharr 1858—1908
Rev. R,W, Culbertson 1908—1915
Rev. W. E. West 1915—1925
Rev. J. Kenton Parker 1927—1958
Rev. R. Jack Sadler 1959—1962
Rev. Marcus B. Prince 1962—1969
Rev. D. L. Barker 1970—1979
Rev. George W. Alexander 1981—1993
Rev. Robert M. Howard 1994 – Present
The original Centre Church building was destroyed by fire in 1774. A 50 by 80 foot log building was erected. Its length was parallel to the road, with doors in the side next to the road and the ends. The pulpit was opposite the road and had a sounding board over it. After 80 years, it was torn down and the present structure took its place in 1854. The campus of Centre Church has continued to grow as the congregation and surrounding community have grown.
The present meeting house was built in 1854. The Session House, Circa 1854; Faith Building was built in 1955; the Williams Building Fellowship Hall, in 1956; and the Rev. J. Kenten Parker Building was built in 2004.